For all the Android-loving fans in the world, this article does not pertain to you. (And I’m very sorry for your loss.) But for all my Apple-loyalists, this information should be very useful. So let’s get to it!
I discovered the ‘Hey Siri’ feature on my phone about a year ago. Many of you may be wondering, what is that?
Let me explain. ‘Hey Siri’ is a function on iPhones that permits users to access Siri, Apple’s artificial intelligence, with just two words.
To use it, willing participants must activate the feature by going to Settings > General > Siri and flipping the toggle to turn it. In doing so, when the phone is charging, Apple users can say “Hey Siri, (fill in the blank) for me.” Basically, the phrase “Hey Siri” is the secret password to hands-free assistance from a built-in, portable secretary. #CanIGetAHellYeah
It’s life changing. Seriously.
Think about it: it’s the middle of the night and you’re groggy and half asleep. The alarm clock blinds your eyes so you can’t see the time… but you must know. Siri to the rescue.
“Hey Siri, what time is it?” Problem solved.
“Hey Siri, how’s the weather tomorrow?” Outfit planned.
“Hey Siri, goodnight.” Loneliness resolved.
Things Siri Can Do
But Siri is capable of so much more. She can (1) make phone calls, (2) type, send and read your texts and emails—“Siri, read me my last message,” and (3) set alarms, reminders and calendar events.
But that’s not all that surprising…
Siri can also:
- Find businesses and restaurants
- Flip a coin
- Play music (and tell you what song is playing)
- Perform calculations (“Siri, what’s a 20 percent on a $62 bill?”)
- Read a Haiku
- Check dates (“Hey Siri, what’s the date of Thanksgiving this year?”)
- Check the calorie count in your food (“Siri, how many calories are in a banana?”)
- Figure out specific poker odds when playing
- Post to Twitter or Facebook
- Set location-based reminders (“Hey Siri, remind me to punch out when I leave work.”)
- Give you a nickname (note: from experience, I recommend not using profanity… Siri will use it when you least expect it)
Funny Things to Ask (or Tell) Siri
Pretty funny, right? (Although, the first joke she told me wasn’t great—some techy jargon—but she admitted to failure like a champ.)
If you want a laugh, throw these questions at Siri:
- What are you wearing?
- How old are you?
- Do you sleep?
- What is your favorite color?
- Will you vote for Trump or Hillary?
- When will the world end?
- Talk dirty to me.
- Will you marry me?