The life of a working adult is a complicated one.
We are expected to work 40 hours or more each week. Outside of that time, we visit friends, attend kids’ activities, hit the gym, clean the house, do the laundry and feed the family… each and every night.
When the list becomes overwhelming, we often go searching for ways to scale back on our to-do lists, hoping to make time for it all. Thanks to slow cookers, not worrying about dinner when we walk in the door after work is possible.
Check out these three slow cooker recipes to accompany the recipes published in The Forum:
Skinny Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken
Serves: 6 servings
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup water
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 12-ounce package frozen broccoli
- 10.5-ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 0.6-ounce package Italian dressing, dry mix
Place chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker. Combine Italian dressing and water. Pour over chicken. Cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours (until chicken is cooked through). Remove chicken from the slow cooker and shred. Leave the liquid stock in the slow cooker. Mix together soup and cream cheese. Pour cream cheese mixture into the slow cooker and mix with the chicken stock. Stir broccoli into the slow cooker mixture. Add chicken back to the slow cooker and mix well. Turn the slow cooker on high and cook until heated through (about 30 minutes).
Recipe adapted from Skinnymom.com
Crock-Pot Chicken Cordon Bleu
Serves: 6 servings
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 4 slices cooked ham
- 4 slices Swiss cheese, softened
- 1 (10-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board and pound until thin. Place ham and cheese slices on chicken breasts, rolling up and securing with a toothpick. Sprinkle or roll the breasts in the breadcrumbs so they’re evenly coated; brush with an egg wash beforehand if desired. Arrange chicken rolls in a 4-quart slow cooker. Thin the soup with milk and pour over the chicken rolls. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.
Recipe courtesy of Recipe4living.com
Slow Cooker Taco Soup
Serves: 6 to 8 servings
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can white chili beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15-ounce) cans red chili beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can tomato soup
- 4 to 6 cups water
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
- Garnish: shredded cheese, crushed corn chips, sour cream, etc.
Brown sausage and ground beef with onion, sprinkling with taco seasoning while cooking. Drain and transfer to slow cooker with remaining ingredients (except garnish). Mix well, cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours. Serve warm with desired garnishes.
Recipe courtesy of Recipesthatcrock.com